Tips for babysitting's first day
By Babysits, 2 min read
You'll probably worry more about your babysitter's first day than your child will, so take a page out of their book and remember to relax!
Here are our tips for you:
- Know who you're dealing with! Make sure that you have already met the babysitter at least once before.
- Prepare some things for the babysitter, like your child's favourite games, snacks or movies, so that they have plenty to do together.
- Make sure that the babysitter is on time. Remember to exchange contact information with them beforehand so that they can let you know if they're running late.
- Provide a list of contact details (phone numbers, emergency contact details), details of sleeping schedules and any possible medications to your babysitter before you leave.
- Give the babysitter a tour of your house and show them where you keep everything that they might need, like spare clothes for your child, a first aid kit, a flashlight, snacks, etc.
- Discuss your child's usual schedule. This can be a helpful guideline and give the babysitter a better idea of what the child is used to doing.
- Discussing or reiterating the house rules or babysitter's responsibilities. This can be helpful to make sure you and the babysitter are on the same page regarding their duties and what they can and cannot do.
- You can also do a trial run of the babysitter and have them babysit for a few hours while you are there to supervise. This can help make the babysitter and your child more comfortable with each other, and can give you a better idea of the type of babysitter they are!